Who needs looking after in lockdown?
We all do!
It’s true. The impact of the Coronavirus doesn’t discriminate. Of course, we all do what we can to look after the elderly, the infirm, the young, the physically and mentally vulnerable. Staying isolated is especially tough for these groups. But there’s another group that we mustn’t neglect. It’s a group that includes you, and it includes me.
Helping ourselves to help others
We may enjoy robust health. We may enjoy a wide, supportive network of friends and family. We may not have money worries. But, if we’re to remain sufficiently strong in mind and body to support our less-fortunate loved-ones, friends and members of our communities, then we need to take steps to maintain our own wellbeing.
We all know that the effects of the Coronavirus will be rumbling on for a good while yet. For months to come, spikes and scares popping up across the planet. But it’s not all gloom. There’s plenty that we can be doing to look after our own health and all-round wellbeing, while, at the same time, keeping ourselves in top condition to take care of others.
And here – for your delectation – are just ten of these steps – The Ash and Dove Looking-After-Yourself-in-Lockdown List!
- Talk – Yes, it’s as simple as that. Just chatting through what’s on your mind will work wonders. It’s a real win-win. First – you’ll feel better. Second – choosing a friend or relative to talk to is a great compliment to them. You’ll make them feel great that you’ve chosen them to confide in.
Look after your physical wellbeing - Your physical health can have a big impact on how you’re feeling inside. Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals, drink enough water, exercise once a day – even if it’s just a 20-minute walk.
Try treating yourself to a little pick-me-up. Have you seen our Pulse Point Oils from The Owl and the Apothecary? You can pop one in your pocket or bag. Then, when you need a ‘lift’, apply it to your wrists, inner elbow and ankles and inhale the wonderful fragrance of 100% organic Frankincense, Lavender and Rose Geranium.
Or you can treat your skin with one of our massage oils and lotions. These organic massage oils are certified vegan and are free from silicone, preservatives, dyes, and synthetic fragrances. They’re good for the planet and good for you!
- Sleep – Get plenty of it. Regular sleeping patterns are vital for keeping you on the ball. Avoid screens before bed. Cut back on caffeine. Create for yourself a restful environment.
- Manage those negative feelings - Focus on those things you can control – the positive things that you can do, think or say. This includes where you get your information from. 24/7 news and social media can wear you down and make you anxious. Try to limit the time you spend keeping up with what’s going on. Try not to share information without fact-checking against credible sources.
- Give yourself a new routine - Life is changing for us all. Be positive about it. It might not seem easy, but you can You can create positive new routines and meaningful activities (baking, exercise, reading, calling a friend). Setting goals and routines, and then achieving them gives a sense of purpose and control. That way, true happiness lies!
- Relax - focus on the ‘now’ - Relaxation techniques are great for helping us to deal with stress or anxiety. You can’t beat yoga. Of course, you don’t have to go out to a class to enjoy its amazing benefits. For example, I follow a wonderful lady on YouTube called Adriene, who offers both free and paid for yoga classes.
- Get yourself outside - Spend time in green spaces. This will work wonders. Science has proved it. You don’t have to be taking exercise. Just sit in your garden (if it’s cold – wrap yourself in a duvet!).
Random acts of kindness – You know … those little gestures – a phone call here, a helping hand there. They take nothing out of your day but mean so much to others – making them feel good and, of course, making you feel good too.
- Keep your mind busy - Read, write, play games, do crossword puzzles, sudokus, jigsaws. Try drawing or painting. Just something different that works for you.
- Taking responsibility for your own happiness. Try to stay calm, be wise, be kind. Look after yourself, and you’ll be even better able to look after others.
Show how much you care …
… not just about others – but about yourself too. Increasingly, evidence is emerging about the value of wellbeing to our all-round health. At Ash & Dove, we’ve devoted an entire collection to Wellbeing products – for Bath & Body, Massage and Grooming. And, of course, there’s no better way to keep in touch with a friend or loved-one than to send them a gorgeous greetings card.
So, you see. Even though 2020 has been a challenging year for so many of us, there are steps we can take to keep ourselves well in body and mind – and to prepare ourselves for a brighter and better tomorrow!
With Love & Light Karen xoxo
Share this post
- Tags: wellbeing